Friday, September 11, 2009

Trip to the Pier!

On Thursday morning we thought it would be fun to walk to the Cherry Grove Pier. They always look closer than they really are, as we didn't think it would take us too long to get there! We took 2 bucks with us, because Anthony thought it would maybe cost a buck each to walk out to the end. Years ago he said it was only 25 cents, but we figured it had gone up.

So we started out around 9:30 and it took us about 25 minutes to get there...speed walking by the way! I took waters for us and Levi, but didn't even think about taking any snacks...

...half way there I realized I forgot the snacks...

Almost there!

WE MADE IT!!!! Let me just tell you that pushing a stroller in the sand is not fun! You had to make sure to keep the stroller wheels between the level of the mushy dry sand and the really wet sand...which left you only about a foot width of possible pushing sand! So once we got there, we had to walk up to the bait shop in order to walk out to the Pier. So we CARRIED the stroller with Levi in it all the way up...NOT FUN!!

By the time we got up there, we were all hot and tired. To make the story even better......we saw a sign that said, PIER TICKETS: $1.50 per person!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT?!?!?!??!! I was so mad!!! So we discussed it and decided that we had walked all that way, that one of us was going to go out with Levi. I told Anthony to go so that I could go back down to the beach and take some pictures of them walking out. So we told the lady just one ticket and she gave us a hard time about me not going and we explained to her that we only brought 2 bucks. I think at first she thought we weren't telling the truth, but she realized it when I walked back out the door and Anthony and Levi walked out the Pier doors. About 30 seconds went by and I was back down at the beach when I heard her yelling at me to come back up! She said to me, "Honey, you can't not experience this with your 2 boys..go ahead and go on out there with them!!" I asked her if I could give her my last 50 cents, but she wouldn't take it. I was so excited and so thankful to her :)

We were the only rednecks that walked out to the Pier without any shoes or sandals. Which was really dumb because most people go out there to fish and have wires and hooks all over the place. We kept Levi in the stroller and we had to watch our every step!

It was all worth it though when we got out there...we even saw a really cool sting ray come up to the surface!

After a few minutes though, Levi reminded me once again that I had forgotten the snacks. He sat right here whining for chicken and broccoli. I knew that we would be busting our tails on the walk back!

These are the 2 photo's from the professional photographer we met. He and his family were from Memphis TN, and were kind enough to take these pictures and send them to me!


I think this may be my most favorite picture out of all the beach pictures! :)

While we were up top of the deck, a fighter jet flew past us.....literally it FLEW!! It was SO COOL and LOUD!! So after about 20-30 minutes of hanging out on the pier, we walked all the way back to our spot on the beach. My feet ached and Levi's belly was growling, so we got him some snacks, got me a chair and life was all good again! :)

Oh yea...when we got back, there was a crowd of people gathering close to the water in front of us. Anthony had gone back to the condo to get some water, so Levi and I checked it out. There was a SHARK getting washed up with the waves!!! It was about 3 feet long or so...you could totally see it's fins. I was glad this happened towards the end of our stay....I don't think I went into the water much after that!

That night we went back down to the beach and watched people fly kites. Levi called them "Umbrellas". This is a random fun thing, but that day Levi learned how to count from 1 to 10 in Spanish...his favorite is OCHO ;)

STAY TUNED...next entry: Mommy's Beach Memories

1 comment:

Drew and Kristin said...

I'm LOVING these updates! I check every day (in fact, several times a day) to see what stories are next. I'm sooo glad the lady let you go up to the pier, Tami!!